Monday, March 23, 2015

Sweet Nile

My little Nile. I hear you breathing and see you smiling behind closed eyes. What are you dreaming? I wonder. Your frail little body, vulnerable and open to the world the way only a newborn is, twitches. Your innocence fills me with awe and tenderness. Your trust breaks my heart. I want to protect you from all the evils of the world, but know it's impossible. In my arms, right now, as I bounce and watch you, you're in your safest place and you know it. You sleep a light slumber. One moment in dreamland; another awake. You rewardp me with toothless smiles and my heart hurts. The love I have for you is overwhelming and crippling. You came into this world to make it a better place, starting with me. I'm becoming a better person because of you, my little one. You're teaching me patience when, at three in the morning, you want to play instead of sleep. Or when you cry for no known reason. I, like a zombie, hold you and smile as you coo and flash gummy grin after gummy grin. Nile. You who's named after the fiercest of rivers. Nile. You're my sweetest lullaby. You're my cave of wonders. You're my gift from God. I don't think you'll ever quite know how much I love you. At least not until you become a mother yourself. Until then, I'll continue to watch you and hold you and love you. Always. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment