Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Rose



I saw the man again today. The one who roams around the
ferry building offering roses in exchange of... I'm not
really sure what. Money? Comfort? Kindness? He walks around
in normal clothes. They look clean. He looks clean. One of
his ears is pierced and he wears a big ring on one of his hands,
don't remember which. He weeps openly, shamelessly.
Everyone turns away. He's approached me before. I normally
don't have my wallet and when I do, I don't have cash.
I'm typically cash-less. Mari saw him the other day.
She mentioned how incredibly sad he looked and the
cruel conditions humanity faces. He made her sad.
He makes me sad.

Today, thinking of Mari and overwhelmed by the heartbreak
he exudes, I gave him all the money I had (it wasn't much).
He didn't give me a rose, just took the change and stood
there in front of me, still crying. I asked him if he was okay.
He gave me a bewildered look and replied with a simple "No."
I asked him what was wrong, he replied he was alone and
hungry. He signaled to his back pocket and made an eating
motion. I didn't know what else to say, what else to offer.
I just said all that I could at that time, "good-luck".
He looked at me, turned and disappeared around the way,
leaving me behind in a labyrinth of thoughts and emotion.

2 comments:

  1. Oh mache you saw him again? I don't know what to make of him either. He confuses me and makes me sad at the same time. I wonder why he did not give you a rose? I do agree he cries without any shame and he looks so sad. I am glad that you were so kind do give him something. Maybe his language barriers prevented him from talking to you and explaining further what is wrong with him. One thing that does make me wonder why does he have clean clothing and looks pretty healthy if you think about it? Who or where does he have the money to buy all of those roses that he carries? I wonder about his real story. I hope he is not there tricking people, but at the same time I don't want to think ill of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Mari. I feel ya. It's just weird. Como te dije on Sunday, he kinda creeps me out. Yet, at the same time, fills me with sorrow. I wonder what his story is...

    ReplyDelete